January 26, 2011

Anniversary

I can't let today finish until I make this blog entry...today is an important day to me.  Today is the 10th anniversary of the day I came out to my family.  There were one or two friends, and a psycho hose beast now ex-girlfriend that knew before my family did...but not long before. After I told my family, I never again hid my sexuality.  I am proud of myself for coming out and proud and not going back into the closet.  

And even though it has taken some explaining and education for my family to accept me as I am, they let me explain and educate...and I know a lot of people don't even have that option.  I thank god every day for giving me a family that accepted me instead of cutting all ties with me. I'm lucky, and I know it.

So...here's to ten more years of me being myself!  I hope that more people are given the chance to be themselves!  We have recently made a massive step forward in that department with the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell...but there are miles and miles to go before the equality fight can end.


2 comments: